Deadpool Co-Creator Rob Liefeld Is Retiring From the Character After 33 Years

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Username Style

Rob Liefeld, the co-creator of Marvel Comics' Deadpool, announced he is retiring from the character on his official X/Twitter account.

"It’s official. Yup, after 33 years of not only introducing Deadpool but chronicling many of his most popular adventures it’s time for the Deadpool Daddy to say farewell," Liefeld wrote.

In his post, Liefeld cited his age as one reason why now felt the right time to retire from working on the famous character.

"In case you are wondering, why now? That’s easy, I’ll be 57 at the end of this and my eyes are still functioning, the work continues to be strong, I want to go out with the best effort I can muster. The hand-eye coordination won’t be there forever," Liefeld said.

Deadpool was first introduced in The New Mutants #98 by Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza back in 1991 when Liefeld was 24 years old. Since then, Deadpool has gone from a niche fourth-wall-breaking comic book character to one of Marvel's most popular anti-heroes, with his third rated-R film — starring Ryan Reynolds again as Deadpool and Hugh Jackman, returning as Wolverine — set to release in theaters on July 26.

Liefeld's retirement from Deadpool wasn't the only thing the longtime comic book artist announced. Turns out, Liefeld's been working on "one last crazy Deadpool" story that's slated to release this summer.

"In 2015 I started Deadpool: Bad Blood, getting Deadpool his first original graphic novel, and his only chart-topping, #1 ranking to date, an achievement that got me a round of congratulations from Marvel brass that pumped my chest out farther than Captain America’s! No other auteur has combined to write and illustrate more Deadpool work, I’ll complete this journey with over 1000 pages alongside my Mercenary Misfit. So, I’ll finish this one last Deadpool story, and trust me, it’s a wild one, and call it a collaboration for the ages. It’ll be fun!"

It's not easy drawing Deadpool, so I hope he can find other characters to draw or then retire.

The guy drew Captain America like this waay back lmao:
lf.jpg

I know he's a muscle man but that chest looks heavily stylized to an odd proportion. Still great shading and details.
Indeed, the drawing was criticized for that lol so Capt had chest implants before lol

Indeed, the drawing was criticized for that lol so Capt had chest implants before lol
I bet if he used a model and reshaped some of his lines it would fit better on the chest or maybe angle him forward and show his other shoulder.

I bet if he used a model and reshaped some of his lines it would fit better on the chest or maybe angle him forward and show his other shoulder.
yeah that would have made the drawing better.

I've only watched a bit of Deadpool but know of many who enjoy this character. I had thought to revisit it again.
It'd be nice if another can take on the work. 33 years is a long time!

Back