Fahrenheit 451

Altair

Staff member
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury is a work of literature that came out for the first time in 1953. In the future, reading is prohibited, and "firemen" burn whatever books they come upon. Guy Montag, the main character, is a firefighter who starts to question his society and the oppression of literature. As he becomes more involved in the resistance against the government, he must make a decision between his old life and the truth.
Have you read the book? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

I've read it. But since this is a science fiction story there are things that can be improved upon. While yes there is censorship, there will never be an amount of biased removed after said books burn, leading to misinformation. It's a step back from improving the future. The idea that you can memorize books or give oral stories forever without them has a state of loss of the original intent. However, the future can have implants to remember things, even though in recent tech there are such things as memory leaks. The wordplay of the firefighters burning things down can also be an act of violence against living people, which is very dissociative of the moral standing of respect for private property. So he might've got that concept right in regard to the lack of effective governance according to what it is today. But people are still object-oriented until they die so there is hope in that.

This is one of Ray Bradbury's works that I haven't read yet. I've heard of it but haven't picked up a copy and read it yet.

Back