Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from tweaktown:

Astera Labs demos PCIe 6.0 connectivity working at NVIDIA GTC 2024 with working PCIe 6.0 retimer ready for NVIDIA's new Blackwell B100, B200, GB200 AI GPUs.

We don't even have PCIe 5.0 across the board with all PC users and gamers, but PCIe 6.0 is coming with NVIDIA's new Blackwell B100, B200, and GB200 AI GPUs all ready for Gen6. AI workloads require ridiculous amount of throughput through the GPUs to process everything at full speed, with NVIDIA using its in-house custom NVLink and NVSwitch to offer massive GPU-to-GPU communication, offering up to 1.8TB/sec of bandwidth on GB200-powered systems.

Tom's Hardware spotted Astera Labs' new Aries Smart DSP retimers at NVIDIA GTC 2024, with the small chips boosting the PCIe 6.2 signal. The demo systems had boards running an active PCIe 6.2 link between the host on the left system, and the load generator on the right. Aries PCIe 6.0 retimers are found on the interposer board in the middle, ingesting and boosting the traffic between its dual PCIe 6.0 x16 connectors (one on each side of the retimer itself).

Astera Labs had live power measurements of its new PCIe 6.0 retimer chip, which they're proud to say is the world's lowest-power retimer. Under full load, the chip had 11W of power draw, which is around 15% less than the 13W that is consumed under full load on PCIe 5.0, while pumping twice the bandwidth through it.

The new PCIe 6.0 retimer silicon is on a newer TSMC process node (the company didn't state which node exactly), which helps with the power savings of its Astera Labs' new chip. Astera Labs' new PCIe 6.0 retimer will be used on a wide range of PCIe 6.0-powered devices, including GPUs, SSDs, NICs, and more, but they're all under NDA so we don't know anything about them just yet.

97166_4006_pcie-6-0-connectivity-demoed-at-nvidia-gtc-2024-ready-for-blackwell-b100-b200-gb200-ai-gpus.jpg

97166_4012_pcie-6-0-connectivity-demoed-at-nvidia-gtc-2024-ready-for-blackwell-b100-b200-gb200-ai-gpus.jpg

PCIe 6.0 looks useful for people who plan on playing PC games and video files in 4K and greater video resolutions.

That's awesome, I can't wait to see how fast these new graphics cards are going to be. Also I wonder how much they are going to cost. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a new PC next year. I wouldn't mind getting one with a PCI 6.0 graphics card.

That's awesome, I can't wait to see how fast these new graphics cards are going to be. Also I wonder how much they are going to cost. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a new PC next year. I wouldn't mind getting one with a PCI 6.0 graphics card.
It will still take quite some time for The mobos with pcie 6.0 to be available. Even Nvdia's first pice 5.0 gpu, the rtx 5000 series is planned for early 2025 release, or at best at the end of 2024. So it's not yet " the time" for pcie 6.0 gpu.

Last edited:
Back